Kaka'ako, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii. An accessible, young, and modern Honolulu neighborhood.
Described as a commercial and retail district in downtown Honolulu, Oahu that is a vibrant neighborhood by day and a hot spot to check out at night, Kaka'ako includes coffee shops, new shopping complexes, and art-filled streets that border the downtown Oahu work district and neighbors the Ala Moana/ Waikiki tourist meccas. This area is a walk-able, central, and young neighborhood with a hipster feel that is also home for us at Eric T Chu - SC Realty and is as yet still accessible to the investor and dream home owner alike.
- A number of apartments complexes and businesses that range from Studio to multi-bedroom rental units to $400,000-$5M Fee Simple properties depending on size and location. Comparable real estate can be found in the adjacent Waikiki, Kapiolani and Makiki areas.
- Zip Code: 96813
- Temperature Range: 62-87 F (Weather)
- Accessible drive from around the island (H1 West off exits: Wilder Avenue, Kapiolani Avenue; and H1 East off exits: Kinau Street, Punahou Street)
- Best known for its urban redevelopment by Kamehameha Schools, the Our Kakaako concept took root and includes the update of 9-square blocks in the Downtown Honolulu area
- Hawaiians in Kaka'ako stayed for waterfront access, especially fishing, and it's said Hawaiian royalty once chose this as their Oahu home base for proximity and availability of resources
By the Numbers
- Hawaii Community Development Authority has plans to develop this 600-acre area, yes, you read that correctly - Kaka'ako is quite the development project - and you can read more here from HCDA about the plans for this "3rd Oahu city" which will be home to a light rail stop.
- Kaka'ako properties have been previously represented by Eric T Chu - SC Realty in the last 24 months; contact me for more details on how I helped my clients purchase and list these high-value properties.
- Median Home Prices for Kaka'ako Homes: $400k to 5M for 800-2000 sq. ft.
*Approximation was taken from available condo/housing projects that include, Waihonua (2015), Symphony (2016), The Collection (2016), Waiea (2016), Anaha (summer 2017), Keauhou Place (end 2017), Ae'o (fall 2018) and Cylinder at Gateway Towers (2019), Hawaiki Tower (1999), Koolani (2006), Moana Pacific (2007), Pacifica Honolulu (2009), Keola Lai (2008), 1350 Ala Moana (1968) and One Waterfront Tower (1989)
SC Realty's Footprint in the Kaka'ako Area
- Enjoy some of our favorite places to stop in the Kaka'ako area; Eric T Chu - SC Realty frequents the following for their great products
- Buy / Work with Eric T Chu - SC Realty to find your dream home in this up-and-coming and sometimes hipster neighborhood that is adjacent to Downtown Honolulu and Ala Moana
- Sell / List your property with us at Eric T Chu - SC Realty and see the results in this high-growth modern luxury area
- Property Management (you can rent one of our client's properties or leverage our services to rent your property)
Coming up next week...
A older, peaceful and often rainy college town neighborhood on Oahu, Manoa includes small shops, a strip mall, and a number of schools with proximity to Downtown Honolulu and freeways that connect this sleepier town to the other parts of Oahu. Come back for a closer look at this beautiful community as Eric T Chu - SC Realty explores this investor and dream home owner, family-friendly neighborhood.
Eric T Chu - SC Realty is a full-service real estate and property management agent. He has extensive experience on Oahu advising both first-time home buyers/sellers and those looking to invest in property and on the search for a responsive and trustworthy property management partner.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are links to external websites. This means, if you click on the link and go to another site, we are not responsible for loss or damages incurred. We only link to or recommend material we use personally and believe will add value to our readers. We are disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising." Note that factual information is sourced from MLS around the time of blog post and considered to be reliable as available but not guaranteed. Images used in this post are sourced from my personal Eric T Chu - SC Realty Archives or Pixabay (free for commercial use with no attribution required).